Time for a Cool Change

 


I am sitting out under the pavilion.  It is hot as the noon sun bears down upon everything in its path.  I have searched and found my spot that contains large amounts of shade.  I do not want to be in the path of the sun. It is definitely much cooler here.  My co-worker sits down next to me on the picnic table and pulls out his phone.  He sorts through a few apps and then starts a song, laying down his phone to solely concentrate on the surroundings.  Words and melody come forth from the Little River Band (and oldie but a goodie) that ring true with what we are feeling right here at this very moment.

Well I've never been romantic
And sometimes I don't care
I know it may sound selfish
But let me breathe the air
Yeah, yeah
If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time that I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear water
It's kind of a special feeling
When out on the sea alone
Staring at the full moon like a lover
Time for a cool change
Time for a cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
Well I know, I know, I know it's time for a cool, cool change

Words could not be more true.  I couldn't be more ready for a cool change.  I have written and talked several times about how hot the Arkansas summers are, and that when fall gets here we are more than ready for the cooler weather.  The reason for that is it is constantly a topic of discussion.  It is constantly a thought that goes through the mind.  It is consistently a pain for several months to just be able to survive instead of thrive anywhere that is not air conditioned.  Change is wanted and needed.  

But the song doesn't speak that we need a cool change for the sake of the weather.  The Little River band speaks to us who live this busy life and never take time to sit down and smell the roses.  They sing to those of us who run from here to there from sunup past sundown and the days fly by without any learning or soul searching or difference making, to us or others, taking place.  It is almost as if we waste that time in our life just getting by.  We need a change.  We need a time where our life is not prearranged.  We need times with no agenda or schedule.  Our soul realizes it.  Our mind longs for it.  It seems the time will never come.

Then it does.  The time comes.  That moment when you reach that place where you can exhale and let it all out.  Relaxation has taken over and that sunup to sundown week is a faint memory.  You don't want to think about it.  You don't want to dwell on it.  You just release all that energy and let whatever place you are in soak it up and absorb it.  

This place is different for all of us.  For the writer of the song it was sailing on the sea.  For me it will be camped beside a river or on a mountain.  For you it may be the same or different.  But one thing that is a constant and the same for all of us is that this spot is needed in life.  A place where you can recharge.  Every created being needs rest or your body will shut down.  That's the way we were created.  No one is immune to this.  

Make the plans.  Take the time.  Do you feel it?  It's time for a cool change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Death Grip

Thumbs Down

Cancelling Rendezvous 2021?